3. Which musical instrument do you wish you could play?
I'd like to be able to play the guitar well, without needing to spend a couple of years learning how to first. I think a lot of people have this wish :)
4. What's your favorite day of the week, and why?
These days, I don't really have a favourite day. It used to be Friday, because that meant The Weekend! I still really hate Sunday nights/Monday mornings.
6. Something you love and hate:
One thing I love and hate at the same time? My mum.
9. Do you tell your friends about your sex life?
Depends on the friends. In some cases, my friends are my sex life.
10. What's the one language you want to learn?
Japanese. I don't really need to learn to speak it, only to read it. For video games purposes, you understand.
11. How do you eat an apple?
Strange question. I just wash it and bite into it. No peeling or cutting.
12. What do you order at a bar?
Sparkling mineral water, fruit juice or occasionally, fizzy drinks.
13. Can you count to 13?
Yes. Without even using my fingers. If you want me to count on my fingers, I can count up to 2047.
14. Have you ever pierced your body parts?
No. I don't like pain.
15. Do you have tattoos?
No. I've never seen a piece of artwork that I would like enough to make a permanent part of me.
16. Would you ever admit to having done plastic surgery of any kind if confronted?
If I'd had plastic surgery, I'd probably admit to it. But I haven't.
17. What's one of the "funnest" things you've ever done:
"Funnest"? Please! It's not even any quicker to type than "most fun". Bah.
The most fun thing I have ever done was to ride the Nemesis rollercoaster at Alton Towers.
18. Do you drive stick? (Translation: Can you drive a manual car?)
No. I can't drive a car at all. Actually, I think the only vehicle I'm qualified to drive is a dodgem car.
19. What's one trait you hate in a person?
Rudeness. Although everyone defines it differently, so it's not very helpful as an answer.
20. What's the one trait you need in a person?
21. What kind of watch(es) do you wear?
I don't generally wear a watch. I do have a nice stainless steel watch that I got for lab, on the basis that I'd been going through watch straps at a rate of 2 a term (sulphuric acid will do that).
22. Most frivolous recent purchase?
My Dreamcast. Although I should point out that it didn't actually cost me much money, as I traded in a load of old games towards it.
23. Do you consider yourself materialistic?
Merriam-Webster says that "materialistic" means 1 a : a theory that physical matter is the only or fundamental reality and that all being and processes and phenomena can be explained as manifestations or results of matter b : a doctrine that the only or the highest values or objectives lie in material well-being and in the furtherance of material progress c : a doctrine that economic or social change is materially caused -- compare HISTORICAL MATERIALISM 2 : a preoccupation with or stress upon material rather than intellectual or spiritual things. By that definition, no.
25. Favorite writing instrument?
A keyboard. If I have to write by hand, I usually use a pencil or one of those 10p disposable Bic biros. I don't know why.
27. Do you have anything monogrammed?
No. When I was younger, I thought personalised things were very cool. I used to want to have absolutely everything with my name or initials on. Then I grew up :)
28. Would you ever go out dressed like the opposite sex?
Yes, although there's no way I could pass for male. That's not the point, though.
29. What's one car you will never buy?
Possibly any of them. I'm quite fiercely anti-car.
30. Have you ever done drugs?
The only illegal drug I've ever taken was alcohol when underage. I'm terribly boring like that, although not without good reason. I react scarily to some psychoactive drugs, and not at all to others.
33. Burial or cremation?
After my death, I would like all of the useful bits of me to be taken out and given to someone who needs them. Then the rest of me should be put in a cardboard coffin and buried, with a tree planted on my grave.
34. How many online journals do you read regularly?
All of the ones on my livejournal friends list. Something in the region of 50, though many of those are not updated more than once a week or so.
35. What's one thing you're a sore loser at?
I enjoy playing games with other people, and I'm not really competitive when playing with others. However, I'm very competitive against myself. For instance, I know how well I usually do on various video games, and I get pissed off if I do particularly badly.
36. If you don't like a person, how do you show it?
I try not to show it. Though to be honest, there aren't many people that I actively dislike.
37. How many drinks before you're tipsy?
38. Favorite kind of popcorn?
Toffee. And now I fancy some and I don't think we have any. Bah.
39. Do you have problems changing clothes in front of friends?
I don't have problems with nudity, but I know that other people do. So I tend not to get changed in front of other people unless I know they don't mind.
40. Do you cry in front of friends?
Yes. I cry in front of anyone.
42. What's one thing you like to do alone?
I was thinking of frivolous answers, like "Talking on the phone. Does that count?", then I remembered one thing I really do like to do alone. Sleep.
46. When's the right time to go to the bathroom in front of your significant other?
I don't quite understand the question. Do you mean "at what stage of the relationship does it become acceptable?". I don't know, though it seems weird to me that people could have sex with each other yet not be comfortable being naked around each other. In my relationship, neither of us have a problem with the other popping in to use the toilet whilst we're shaving or showering. Though I don't think it's very social to do a poo when someone else is in the same room.
47. Favorite communication method?
Face to face, generally speaking. Although some concepts are easier to explain in text, and some people respond better to an email than a phone call or meeting. It does depend on the situation. Although I like firecat's suggestion that mind-reading is a particularly bad idea in all situations :)
48. What is one thing you don't leave home without?
My brain. It's amazing how many difficult situations I've avoided by making sure I have a brain with me. I don't generally go out without my keys, wallet and phone either, although I sometimes don't bother with them if I'm with Richard.
49. How often do you call your mom?
On average, I talk to her three or four times a day. Though I'm not sure what percentage of the conversations are initiated by which one of us. Richard and I will talk on the phone at least once a day, usually three or four times - and that's when we're in the same part of the world. I just enjoy talking.
Questions that I couldn't be bothered with:
7. What kind of bedding do you use?
8. What kind of soap do you use? (Who cares?)
24. What do you cook the best?
Questions that I couldn't answer easily:
1. What's one thing you wish you could do but can't?
2. What is your ideal marriage location?
5. Favorite fabric(s)?
26. Do you prefer to stand out or blend in?
31. What kind of books do you like to read?
32. If you won the lottery, what would you do first?
41. What kind of first impression do you think you give to people?
43. What's the worst thing you ever said to someone?
44. What's the worst thing anyone ever said to you?
45. Are you a giver or a taker?
50. What's the most painful experience you've ever had?
I'll have to think about these some more.