To add injury to insult, I managed to cut my finger popping an antidepressant pill out of its plastic packaging. O woe is me, even my antidepressants hate me! How emo am I?
Thanks to rosefox's recommendation, I spent the whole of New Year's Eve reading my way through the Yuletide Treasure 2007 archive. Various fanfics in various "obscure" fandoms, some of them not actually very obscure at all.
- Five Very Important Life Lessons. Fandom: Blades of Glory (!). quiet000001 must read this. Now.
- In Colorless Wind and Invisible Humors. Fandom: Dead Poets Society. I think I really need to watch that movie again (with a huge box of tissues).
- state of imaginary grace. Fandom: The Breakfast Club. Also, The Geek Doesn't Get The Girl.
- An Arrangement of Superstitions. Fandom: Dogma. Features many instances of the word "fuck", plus hilarious Metatron.
- The Inescapable Us. Alternative ending to Chasing Amy. See also Drunk Dial and Talk. I should probably read the rest of the Askewniverse page.
- The One Where Chandler Isn't Gay. Fandom: Friends.
- Joey and Michael Sitting in a Tree. Fandom: My Two Dads (tv).
- Malak. Fandom: Night at the Museum. Seems that all of the Night at the Museum fics are Octavius/Jedediah, can't think why ;)
- Blank Canvas. Fandom: Poppy Z Brite - Drawing Blood. I guess this isn't technically slash, seeing that Zach & Trevor are together in canon, but it rather nicely fills in the gap between the end of the book and the start of the short story.
- Missing Mile. Fandom: Poppy Z Brite - Lost Souls. Because, really, who doesn't want Steve & Ghost to get together, someday when Steve is less broken? All of the other stories in this category are also worth checking out.
- The Dream Is the Reality and O Be Some Other Name. Stories of Captain Shakespeare. Fandom: Stardust (movie).
- The English Vice & An Extract from the Rather Fruity, Secret Locked Diary of B. Wooster Esq.. Fandom: PG Wodehouse - Jeeves and Wooster. V. explicit. Also kinky, and funny.
- Warning: The most WRONG Sesame Street story ever! Features explicit Bert & Ernie sex!! Why Sex Ed Should Stay in Schools. This is disturbing! And also very funny.
- Love Unites Us. Fandom: Jem (!!).
- A Love Letter. Fandom: Dykes To Watch Out For (so not really slashy at all considering that most of the characters are lesbian in canon, but...)
- Happy Ever After. Fandom: Sarah Waters - Tipping the Velvet. Again, don't think this really counts as slash, but it's a lovely hint about what might happen to Nan King & Florence Banner after the book ends.
- Five Have An Indoor Adventure. Fandom: Enid Blyton - The Famous Five. Absolutely hilarious and kinky.
Fiddler's Went A'Courtin'. Fandom: Sandman (comic). Gilbert & Rose Walker: sweet, romantic and not-at-all sexual. There is also an enormous Neverwhere and American Gods section, but I haven't read my way through those yet.
Bright. Fandom: Stardust (movie). Very sweet Tristan & Yvaine ficlet.
None of these are the least bit sexual, but fill in gaps in the books. Some of the characterisation is perfect.
- How Bright is My Mud. Ivan and Mark hope Miles doesn't find out they dumped the body in a swamp.
- The Emperor's Curve. Features 12 year old Gregor at school.
- By No Miracle or Majestic Means. Ivan gets drunk and accidentally saves the world. (Sort of.) I have a secret soft spot for Ivan, and the characterisation of him in this story is perfect.
- Ingenium et Fides. Aral and Cordelia confront at last the issue of children, as Miles, Ivan, and Elena have an adventure that Ivan never forgets.
- Shadows of Their Mothers. Set in the Ethan of Athos universe.
Now I need to read the rest of the Lois McMaster Bujold - Vorkosigan series section. I'm a little disturbed by the story marked as Miles/Gregor... which I'm sure will surprise some of you, considering my general fondness for boy-on-boy.
Also mostly non-sexual, for people who aren't interested in that sort of thing.
- The Last Rites of Wednesday Addams. Fandom: The Addams Family (movie).
- INSECURITY COMICS. Fandom: Dinosaur Comics (!!!).
- Holiday. Fandom: Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.
- A woman's right to wear bags. Fandom: Dorothy L Sayers - Lord Peter Wimsey series. See also The Indiscretion of the Hon. John Fairfield.
- The One Where Chandler Sneaks A Pee. Fandom: Friends.
- Most Interesting Day. Fandom: Terry Pratchett - Discworld. Hilariously funny Guards caper. Again, the Discworld category has many, many stories, and I've only read a few of them. Beginnings is also rather good (featuring Death). And A Bunny Isn't Just for Hogswatchnight, It's For Death's Birthday is extremely bizarre and surreal.
- Land of One Hundred Stories. Fandom: Okami. Features Waka, Amaterasu, and some more Japanese legends. Not perfect, but worth reading anyway.
I do very strongly recommend you don't go browsing the Yuletide Treasure archive unless you have copious free time, though. 6 hours last night plus another 2 hours today... and I read fast, and have only read the stories in fandoms that I have at least a passing familiarity with. Reading the full archive would probably take me an entire 24 hours. Also, if you're at work, go via the links to the Fandoms rather than to the stories themselves, as the site itself gives "ratings" (G, PG, PG-13, NC-17 & R - though I've no idea how such things are calculated).
TOO MUCH READING *head explodes*