Log in

No account? Create an account
I need someone who studied genetics... - helen-louise — LiveJournal
I need someone who studied genetics...
...Rather than teaching themselves from textbooks like I did.

I need to talk about the gene located at 4p16.3 in human chromosomes.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that when you read out a gene locus, you don't say "4 p sixteen point 3" but instead "4 p one six point 3". Is that right?

I don't want to make a fool of myself in this talk!

Current Mood: stressed stressed

2 comments or Leave a comment
jinian From: jinian Date: 13th February 2012 03:20 (UTC) (Link)
As a biologist, I would be completely shocked if (1) there was one universal way to say it and (2) anyone really cared. Try Youtube if you're inclined to agonize, I suppose, but if this is what you're worried about then you must have the hard parts down!
thekumquat From: thekumquat Date: 13th February 2012 10:53 (UTC) (Link)
Biologists don't do standards - say whatever you think sounds best and clear. If it's in comprehensible English the audience will be grateful! [has sat through many Japanese profs allegedly speaking English]

Remember, DNA biologists recognise two DNA polymerases: DNA polymerase 1 and DNA polymerase 3. They don't do numbering.

(I was meant to do my PhD on the Oct protein 'three/four', which had been named twice...)
2 comments or Leave a comment